Bio Diversity India:
- 16 lakhs of species are known to science.
- India with land area 2.2% of the earth.
- India harbours over 4.0 lakhs of species. (7.5% of the World’s known species).
- India ranks amongst the World’s top 12 Mega diversity Countries.
Bio Diversity Karnataka:
- Living Species - around 1.20 lakhs
- Flowering plant - 4,500 species
- Birds - 522 species
- Mammals - 158 species
- Reptiles - 158 species
- Amphibians - 121 species
- Fishes (Marine & Brackish water) - 405 species
- Fishes (Fresh water) - 218 species
- Butterflies - 300 species
- Medicinal Plants - 1493 species.(808 genera & 108families).
State Bio-Diversity at a glance:
Biological Diversity Act:
The Biological Diversity Act aims to promote conservation, sustainable use and equitable sharing of benefits of India’s biodiversity resources. With this in view it provides for the establishment of a National Biodiversity Authority, State Biodiversity Boards and Bio diversity Management committed at the level of Panchayats and Municipalities.
For further details contact us :
Additional Principal Chief Conservator of Forests and Member Secretary
Karnataka Bio-diversity Board (Forest, Ecology & Environment Department)
Vanavikas building, 18th Cross,
Malleswaram, Bengaluru – 560003.
Ph: 23448783, 23440535 (O)