What is the procedure for registration under KAPY
Farmers desirous of planting seedlings under KAPY should visit the nearest Range Forest Office and obtain the prescribed Application Form. The following details should be provided in the Application: name, address and passport sized photograph of the applicant, pahani of the land where planting is being proposed, hand-sketch of the land, details of seedlings required (species, number of seedlings, size of poly-bags, etc.), and details of applicant’s bank account. A registration fee of Rs 10/-should accompany the application.
When should registration be done
Registration should be done before the commencement of the rainy season (by the end of May).
How to obtain the seedlings
The applicant should visit the nearby nursery and obtain the seedlings on payment of the following subsidized rates.
• Re 1/- for each seedling in poly-bags of size 5”x8” and 6”x9”
• Rs 3/- for each seedling in poly-bags of size 8”x12”
• Rs 5/- for each seedling in poly-bag of size 10”x16” and 14”x 20”
What should be done if seedlings applied for are not available in the nearby nursery
In case the seedlings which had been applied for are not available in the nearby nursery, a written endorsement to that effect should be obtained from the concerned in-charge staff of the nursery. The seedlings may be obtained from another nursery of the range or the division, where such seedlings are available, by producing the written endorsement. In case applicant fails to obtain the seedlings from any nursery, the Forest Department would raise the seedlings during the same year and arrange to supply in the next rainy season.
What is the procedure for obtaining the incentive amount
Each beneficiary is eligible to receive incentive amount for a maximum of 400 seedlings per hectare. There is no upper limit in respect of the total extent of planting. In respect of seedlings planted from 2017-18 onwards, incentive amounts will be paid for three years as per the following schedule:
• Rs 30/- for each surviving seedling on completion of one year of planting
• Rs 30/- for each surviving seedling on completion of two years of planting
• Rs 40/- for each surviving seedling on completion of three years of planting. In respect of seedlings planted before 2017-18, incentive amounts will be paid for three years as per the following schedule:
• Rs 10/- for each surviving seedling on completion of one year of planting
• Rs 15/- for each surviving seedling on completion of two years of planting
• Rs 20/- for each surviving seedling on completion of three years of planting.
Which species are not eligible for payment of incentive amount
Eucalyptus, Acacia, Silver Oak (if planted in coffee estate), Casuarina, Cassia siamea (Seemetangadi), Gliricidia, Sesbania, Erythrina, Rubber, Subabul, Coconut, Arecanut, Orange, all types of citrus species and grafted mango.
What is the procedure of disbursement of incentive amount
Each year, concerned officials/staff of the Forest Department inspect the areas where seedlings have been planted by the farmers under KAPY. They ascertain details regarding survival and growth of the planted seedlings and submit a report to their respective Range/Division offices from where a consolidated report requesting for payment of incentive amount is sent to the Head Office. The reports are examined in the Head Office and incentive amounts are disbursed to the unit offices who in turn, on the basis of the beneficiaries’ bank account details such as account No., name of bank, IFSC Code, etc., prepare bills and submit to treasuries. Subsequently, cheques are directly transferred from the treasuries to the accounts of the beneficiaries through ECS.
Whether any organisation or NGO can assist the Forest department as facilitated in implementing KAPY
Voluntary organizations, NGOs, VFCs, environmental development members, etc. who wish to assist the Forest Department in implementing KAPY may register themselves in the respective divisional forest offices. After registration, they should visit the villages coming under the purview of the forest division and provide detailed information to the farmers about KAPY. They should motivate farmers to participate in the programme and to register themselves with the Department as per the prescribed procedure. They should also provide technical information such as pitting, planting, cultural operations, etc. to the farmers before and after planting operations. They should advise the farmers to collect the seedlings from the nurseries and to plant them in their lands in the right time, i.e. in the monsoon season. They should also assist the officials/staff of the Forest Department during the time of evaluation of the planting works. The Voluntary organizations, NGOs, VFCs members, etc. assisting the Forest Department in implementing KAPY are paid a total amount of Rs 5/- per seedling distributed over four years as per the following schedule:
• During the year of planting in the beneficiary’s land – Rs 2/- per planted seedling
• On completion of one year of planting – Re 1/- per surviving seedling
• On completion of two years of planting – Re 1/- per surviving seedling
• On completion of three years of planting – Re 1/- per surviving seedling