1901 - 1935
In 1901, after the retirement of Mr. Pigot, Mr. Muthanna became the Head of the Department and he steered the Department for twelve long years. Mr. Muthanna held the stewardship of the Department for over 12 years. It was during Mr Muthanna’s tenure that the Forest Department was organized on a sound footing. More and more areas were declared as Reserved Forests. Working Plans were prepared for forest areas ushering in scientific forest management. After his retirement in 1913, Mr. M.G. Rama Rao succeeded him in 1914. This coincided with the outbreak of the First World War, which had a terrific effect on Mysuru Forest economy by cutting off the traditional export markets for sandalwood, so much so that out of the 1,313 tons of sandalwood offered for sale in 1914-15, not more than 70 tons could be sold. The Government decided to open their own factory for distillation of the wood. A factory in Bengaluru and later, a bigger unit in Mysuru, proved highly successful. Mr. B.V. Rama Iyengar succeeded Mr. M.G. Rama Rao as Conservator in 1921 and later as Chief Conservator. He has held the record of the longest spell of any officer in the history of the Department as its Head, retiring in 1935 after more than 14 Years.