Mysore State 1864 - 1901
In old Mysore State, Mysore Forest Department was established on 11th January 1864 and an army officer Major Hunter, was appointed as Conservator of Forests. The Department then had a complement of five officers - Major Hunter as Conservator and his four assistants, Lt. G.J. Van Somerson, Lt. E.W.C.H. Miller, Mr. C.A. Dobbs, all Assistant Conservators and Mr. Madhava Rao, Sub-Assistant Conservator. Major Hunter was followed by Lt. Van Somerson, who held the post till 1879. In between 1879 and 1885, the Deputy Commissioners of the districts were put in charge of the forests, after abolishing the post of Conservator of Forests. In 1886, Mr. L. Rickets was appointed as the Inspector General of Forests, but the Deputy Commissioners continued to be in charge of the forests in the districts, and they were assisted by small establishments of Rangers, Foresters and Watchers. The Department was organized to some extent with 16 officers. Mr Rickets was succeeded by Mr. Campbel-Walker in 1895 and Mr. Pigot in 1899. During this time, Mr. M. Muthanna, a trained forester, belonging to the Indian Forest Service was appointed as the Conservator of Forests and ex-officio Secretary to the Government.