The Corporation was incorporated in February 1978 under the companies act 1956 mainly with the object of taking over the existing cashew plantation for intensive development and to raise new plantation in the state to attain increased productivity. In April 1979, the State Government had transferred 8000 ha. of existing cashew plantations to corporation as equity. The Authorized Capital of K.C.D.C. Ltd. 600 lakhs and subscribed capital is 454.03 lakhs. The Government has further ordered in the year 1993 to transfer 20,997 ha. of older cashew plantations from the Forest Department. The Forest Department has transferred 15669 ha. of Cashew plantations. KCDC. Ltd., has planted 2498 ha. high yielding varieties of cashew softwood grafts since 1992 to 2001. The Corporation had successfully implemented IDA Project during the year 1980 to 1987 covering an area of 3694 ha. with the assistance of International Development Agency (IDA). The Corporation has Divisional Offices at Puttur, Kundapur, Kumta and Moodabidri.
Fuel wood project:
A Fuel wood Project was taken up by KCDC Ltd. during the year 1987-88 to 1993-94 to meet the requirement of local industry and public. We have covered an area of 9148 ha. in the Dakshina Kannada, Uttara Kannada, Chikkamagaluru and Shivamogga Districts.
The Corporation has 6 cashew clonal banks which are used for production of cashew grafts. We produce high yielding cashew grafts in the clonal banks. The clonal banks are in Dakshina Kannada, Udupi, Uttara Kannada District. We supply cashew grafts at concessional rate to farmer to meet social objectives of the Corporation.